Skip to main content

Eclipse Rock Bar - Lisbon

 

Bom dia Lisbon. Why the fuck are there olives on everything? For what it's worth, the construction game has gone to absolute shit. My advice to anyone thinking they'd like to be a tradie, is don't. Chances are you'll be 3 years into an apprenticeship and utterly hate your life. What you should do instead, (having never worked a day on the tools) is go to school for project management. This way you'll get a nice certificate, a fancy job title, and then you'll "run" the job. If you think I'm just being facetious, I'm not. That's the direction the construction industry has gone. World wide. Much like the music industry, construction has become a game run by bean counters that are usually so lost they couldn't find themselves in a mirror. Having spent the last 8 months going to battle on a particularly grizzly site, and since occupancy is upon us, I decided it was time to leave for a few weeks and get some sun.

This was a wise choice as I happened to get into Lisbon on a gorgeous Sunday morning. There wasn't a cloud in the sky, the temperature was perfect and I found a café with a nice view. A perfect morning. It's hard for me to say I hate what I do, because I don't. I build big, complex mechanical systems in high rise buildings, and make great money. It's actually a sweet gig. However, I'm a glass half empty kind of guy and unfortunately the game we play isn't played fairly by anyone. Developers, engineers, trades, or vendors alike. So to quell my daily anguish and pure hatred for hypocrisy and incompetence I deal with, I take as much time away as possible. 

My philosophy on this, and life in general is you've only got one crack at it. Whatever it is that you want to do, embrace your inner Nigel Tufnel, turn it to 11 and go do it. I know I should save more loot for retirement, but since tomorrow isn't guaranteed what's the point in retiring with your pockets lined with cash having never been anywhere or seen anything? My therapist would probably agree with that part, but I'll never heed to my own advice.

Lisbon, or Lisboa if you're naughty, turned out to be an utterly gorgeous city. Rich in history, cobble stone roads, museums and old bricks. My favourite. Vibrant colours of pinks, yellows and blues run through out these windy back alleys that feel like Cartagena and Hamburg had an illegitimate offspring. Shades of a distant uncle from Helsinki too, now I think about it. If I never left, I could die a happy man. I wish someone would have told me it was rather hilly before I came because I only brought my Connie's, which are arguably the worst shoes to walk 35,000 steps a day in. I toured through most of the usual areas, going through old narrow streets in Baixa de Lisboa and seeing the Castelo de S. Jorge in Alfama being sure to stop as often as needed to order a beer in some very broken Portuguese and talk to any local that I came across. Much like the rest of Europe, the street café culture is vibrant here, I found myself eating duck something in Barro Alto and hearing Fado for the first time. Fado is traditional Portuguese music, it feels like their answer to the blues, and like BB, these blokes can play. Really puts me and my distorted first position cords to shame. They also tell everyone in the restaurant to shut up before playing, a move I can't pull onstage. For some though, this music is a harsh reminder to the shocking devastation the dictatorship made its people endure during a time when you couldn’t talk of democracy and heroin was cheaper than smokeo’s. Some would say this was Portugal’s darkest hours.

Somewhere buried in the hilly background of Biarro Alto I stumbled into the best rock n' roll bar intown. What a treat it was to see a familiar sight after such a hectic day. I've grown to love finding these dive bars across the world. The hand painted murals and gun metal grey walls felt like a hug from an old mate. These welcoming sights, sounds, and dare I say sometimes smells bring a small amount of comfort to me when traveling on my own. Despite the inevitable language barrier, I always find the rock community to be extremely welcoming. No one asks who you voted for, or what footy team you support, we can all just agree that rock n' roll isn't dead and Lemmy is god. The bar itself is the size of a shirt button. Big enough for 20 people at a push and when full, a total vibe. Did I say that right? The €3 Super Bock' went down a treat along with a perfectly blended playlist of Municipal Waste, Limp Bizkit, and Hardcore Superstar in the background. Deadly good ending to a near perfect day. Obligado Eclipse. 

6/6.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Public - Bodø

  ANTHONY BOURDAIN ONCE SAID  “anyone who whines about writers block should be forced to clean squid all day” . Oui chef, I’ll head over to the seafood station for the foreseeable future. But, have I had writers block or have I just had nothing to moan about lately? Yes, the world’s on fire, but my corner of the universe has been quiet. I’ve been trying to avoid the news, ignoring the bad and focusing on the good. And the news is good, Hortons have released World Cup inspired Tim Bits that no one wanted, and last week I was given a Montana’s gift card. Things are filling up in Southern Ontario I tell ya. Ribs and salad for tea.  This weekend however, I’m back on my bullshit and on a flight to Oslo. Why am I on a flight to Oslo you ask? Well that’s easy, because yesterday I was on a flight to Bodø. I know, keep up. If you’ve never heard of Bodø, don’t worry, neither had I until I decided to scurry across the pond to see The Cruel Intentions play some gigs. I’ve been a fan ...

GODZ - Tokyo

  Roughly this time last year, I set a goal for myself to read at least one book a month for 2025. No particular topic, or subject matter in mind, just simply read a dozen books. It’s safe to say I’m on track to complete that mission, and I might ever surpass it. The constant back and forth to Europe for vacations and tours has helped, but most recently, a 14 hour flight to Tokyo has sealed the deal. In at least three or four of the books I’ve read this year, people have talked about how amazing Japan is. Doug Tompkins, who founded The North Face clothing company had a love for their art and architecture. Anthony Bourdain was besotted with their food. Jermey Clarkson adores their motorways. I have heard people raving about this place for years. However, after being here a week, I hate to say it, but I have a slightly different outlook. Let me start of by saying Tokyo is incredible, and I am happy I’m here. As I’m writing this, I’m connected to wifi and travelling at 320kph on a bul...

The Flying V Metal Bar - Singapore

I’ve never been one to shy away from an unpopular opinion. For example, I hate Seinfeld. And The Beatles, but please allow me to expand upon my latest one. I can only equate my underwhelming feelings about Japan to the same happy and excited feelings at the beginning of a new relationship. And just before the honeymoon phase is over, life becomes more real, the diffuser on the bedside table becomes your first joint purchase, you suddenly get the “I’ve been thinking text” . So much hype and excitement, followed by the feeling that a rug has been pulled out from underneath your feet. And you’re left feeling sad, and despondent. This has happened to me before, in relationships and travelling, as I’m sure it has to a great many others, but as a result, I vow to never return to Vegas.  Heresy aside, I think the underlying problem here is social media. Think about it. People only portray themselves as having a great time, and everything being excellent online. People go on their holidays...