Skip to main content

Café The Jack - Eindhoven

 

Why has driving in the UK become such a miserable experience? For reasons unknown to me, it took well over six and a half hours for us to drive from Glasgow to Leeds. A mere 224 miles. The British army used to walk that in less time, then, like a caravanist, set up in a muddy field and do all the things that armies do. From what I can make of the misery that is driving from A to B in the UK, is that the Greta Thunberg’s of the universe have made it their sole purpose in life to ensure the motor enthusiasts of the world can’t enjoy such simple pleasures. 

I fear in years to come, us rev heads will be relegated to the doldrums of some boarded up gymnasium in an abandoned school. What that is to say, is that the world’s gotten it in its head that we all need to be driving EV’s because a few polar bears might go hungry. But EV’s aren’t exciting. They’re microwaves on wheels with a radio, designed by a committee of do gooders. Whereas a 1957 Caddy was designed by a bloke named Bob, who took some pride in his days work and wanted to make art out of a V8 and a few extra metal panels. I guess they’re just this decades spinners, but they’re bought by tech nerds, not rappers.

With that said, I filled up the tour van with a tank of diesel, threw in some Add Blue (to keep the polar bears fed) and set the GPMS for Eindhoven. And let me tell you, what a sight for sore eyes Café The Jack truly was. This club is the size of a 10 year olds shoebox, and filled to the brim with heaps of rock n roll decor that brings a homey like feeling to you while you’re a long way from your actual home. The venue is the perfect spot to play in town, and our gig was completely sold out. The Netherlands clearly loves its rock n roll, Golden Earring and Freeway are prime examples of their exquisite taste. 

Downtown Eindhoven seems to allow everybody to order a pint one bar, and then take it to another pub to finish it. It’s pretty unhinged and before long, the streets were filled with underage drinkers and subsequently; vomit & Zyn’s. I still don’t understand the Zyn craze. Just smoke a Marlboro Red like a man and ask yourself, “what would Lemmy do?” Because I can’t imagine him being a part of the Zyn parade. Since the town turns into a festival of chlamydia once the sun sets, I decided that driving the van through this mess after our gig was a dreadful idea and I’d load out in the morning. So, in the spirit of the mood, and to follow suit with the locals, I took part in the previously mentioned extra curricular activities. We drank most of the beers on our rider, smoked every durry this side of the Nile, and I took a few wet ones on a self guided sightseeing tour. It’s hard to squeeze in your cardio workouts on the road, so getting my steps in is key. 

Café The Jack, or “Café The Jack Sparrow”, as we drunkenly dubbed it, is what Tiger Woods is to golf. Brilliant, just without the adultery. It’s an epic bar to play in, or simply hang out, and sink piss in. The staff are great, the tunes are spot on, and The Dutchies clearly like to show up and get pissed as pirates. Which I for one, can relate to. Thanks a million Eindhoven. 

Ps, Netherlands, your croquettes are to die for. 

6/6.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Public - Bodø

  ANTHONY BOURDAIN ONCE SAID  “anyone who whines about writers block should be forced to clean squid all day” . Oui chef, I’ll head over to the seafood station for the foreseeable future. But, have I had writers block or have I just had nothing to moan about lately? Yes, the world’s on fire, but my corner of the universe has been quiet. I’ve been trying to avoid the news, ignoring the bad and focusing on the good. And the news is good, Hortons have released World Cup inspired Tim Bits that no one wanted, and last week I was given a Montana’s gift card. Things are filling up in Southern Ontario I tell ya. Ribs and salad for tea.  This weekend however, I’m back on my bullshit and on a flight to Oslo. Why am I on a flight to Oslo you ask? Well that’s easy, because yesterday I was on a flight to Bodø. I know, keep up. If you’ve never heard of Bodø, don’t worry, neither had I until I decided to scurry across the pond to see The Cruel Intentions play some gigs. I’ve been a fan ...

GODZ - Tokyo

  Roughly this time last year, I set a goal for myself to read at least one book a month for 2025. No particular topic, or subject matter in mind, just simply read a dozen books. It’s safe to say I’m on track to complete that mission, and I might ever surpass it. The constant back and forth to Europe for vacations and tours has helped, but most recently, a 14 hour flight to Tokyo has sealed the deal. In at least three or four of the books I’ve read this year, people have talked about how amazing Japan is. Doug Tompkins, who founded The North Face clothing company had a love for their art and architecture. Anthony Bourdain was besotted with their food. Jermey Clarkson adores their motorways. I have heard people raving about this place for years. However, after being here a week, I hate to say it, but I have a slightly different outlook. Let me start of by saying Tokyo is incredible, and I am happy I’m here. As I’m writing this, I’m connected to wifi and travelling at 320kph on a bul...

The Flying V Metal Bar - Singapore

I’ve never been one to shy away from an unpopular opinion. For example, I hate Seinfeld. And The Beatles, but please allow me to expand upon my latest one. I can only equate my underwhelming feelings about Japan to the same happy and excited feelings at the beginning of a new relationship. And just before the honeymoon phase is over, life becomes more real, the diffuser on the bedside table becomes your first joint purchase, you suddenly get the “I’ve been thinking text” . So much hype and excitement, followed by the feeling that a rug has been pulled out from underneath your feet. And you’re left feeling sad, and despondent. This has happened to me before, in relationships and travelling, as I’m sure it has to a great many others, but as a result, I vow to never return to Vegas.  Heresy aside, I think the underlying problem here is social media. Think about it. People only portray themselves as having a great time, and everything being excellent online. People go on their holidays...