It's also Christmas, which unsurprisingly, I hate. One of the same 5 songs that get played on repeat from October to January would suggest "it's the most wonderful time of the year", but I couldn't disagree more. It's cold. Theres white shit everywhere, and not even the kind you can snort. The sun goes down at 4pm, and for reasons unknown to me, everyone feels the need to live far beyond their means, and turn the birth of some Palestinian Jew into a festival of silly hats and cringey movies. Except for one. Love Actually. That one is a cinematic masterpiece and I won't hear a bar of it otherwise. In my mind, anything Hugh Grant does is *chefs kisses*. Especially now that he's old and grumpy. Like me. Come to think of it though, there has to be a gap in the market for writing new Christmas songs, can somebody get on this please? My old band did one actually, it wasn't bad. I am also, painfully sick of being single at this time of year, but since I'm single the other 11 months, it shouldn't be a shift in mentality.
Ned Kelly's Last Stand is sandwiched in the back streets of the Tsim Sha Tsui area of Hong Kong near the Kowloon Bay. This little hole in the wall mimics a NY speakeasy mixed with the decor of outback saloon. Something you'd see in an old Western film. With a fountain of Tsingtao on tap and enough Bangers & Mash to feed Ned Kelly and his army of larrikins too boot. The bar feels like a darkroom used to expose and print photos, lit only by candles and red lights, but when the band counts to 4 and starts playing, then suddenly it comes to life. It was amazing to see Hong Kongers covering Bruce Springsteen and The Clash. Sadly beyond its jazz, blues, & booze I can't really say there was much else I cared for in this town. It’s wildly busy, covered in neon and lacks personality. If I were rich, I’d probably love it. Hong Kong is a very interesting place in some aspects, Chinese and British rule, culture, history and life blended into one. The British gave Hong Kong back to the Chinese authorities in '97, ending 150 yeas of colonial rule, but Hong Kong operates under its own government as part of a "one country, two systems" principle. I believe that arrangement expires in 2047, and Hong Kongers aren't happy with the idea of returning completely to Chinese rule. I wouldn't be either, but since I don't have a degree in the history or politics, I can't say that it's for me to comment on. However, there is a lot of the west here, only everyone speaks Cantonese and at least from my experience the majority of people refuses to try their hand at English. I'm not joking, I tried to buy an ice cream, and I was just shown where to go. Twice!
Depending on which side of history you're on, will depend on your view of Ned Kelly; Australia's greatest outlaw. To some, he was a cop killing, bank robbing, horse stealing, thug that lied, cheated, stole his way into folk law. To others, he was much more. As a first generation Irish Aussie mutt, he grew up in abstract poverty, and fought fearlessly against the tyrannous British rule. Seems rather fitting for there to a bar here themed after him years later. He spent time in and out of the nick at a very early age for stock theft with a group of lads. Sadly, they sentenced him to death at a young age, but his legacy lives on. What the horse considers play, the monkey considers business, and as uninspired as I've been feeling lately, and about my layover in Hong Kong, I can only say that going into a new year I am inspired to keep working on music, writing, loosing weight and staying off the booze. Usually I couldn't care less about the beginning of a new year, but this year I'm weirdly excited to see what it can bring. Hopefully another #2 single on the Billboard Top 200, another few tours and maybe a cheeky vacation or two somewhere.
Ned Kellys - 5/6.
Hong Kong - 0/6.
2025 - 66/6.
Comments
Post a Comment