Skip to main content

Frankie's Pizza - Sydney


Frankie's by the Slice, Sydney, Australia! FINALLY.

I cannot describe to you the enormous amount joy I felt touching down in the land down under for the first time. I have wanted to come here for at least 30 years and on Dec 2nd, 2022, I landed at Sydney Intl.

Ever since I was 5 years old, watching the tele back in the old country and seeing the late, great Aussie National Treasure, Steve Irwin do his Crocodile Hunter show, I was fixed on being an Aussie at heart. He is still to this day an absolute icon, and represents what blokes should be in this world; kind, caring, altruistic etc.  A great mate of mine (and now bandmate) spent one Canada Day getting flushed at The Bovine in Toronto watching Crocodile Hunter and listening to Tina Turner, utterly fantastic night, followed by a crippling hangover but I woke up with flashbacks of being young and hearing the great man himself saying “CRIKEY” as he cheated death on a regular basis.

Unfortunately for everyone, Frankie's was set to close forever a few days after we played. Whilst at this point, I wasn’t a full-fledged member of the band, I was running the sound board, I would get on stage and do a couple songs and I was, more or less, on the payroll with the fellas, albeit the payout was usually a packet of M&Ms a gig but hey, at least its something. I was always told “Frankie's is wild” but I never expected it to be that wild. I might be bias in my opinion of that night, but we put on the greatest Rock n Roll show the world has ever seen. It was full on, early Bon Scott AC/DC spec, loose as and exactly what it needed to be.

Load in/sound check at 3pm, change my strings, say g'day to the fellas, and set up shop for the night. Easy. Frankie's was in the basement, so once through the doorways to Narnia, you’re down a set of stairs and into the venue. It was dark and carpeted, the walls were covered in old show flyers, the likes of Rose Tattoo, Dizzy Reed, Nashville Pussy, and of course, Frankie's World Famous House Band, not to mention the thousands of random photos of Rock n Rollers just living large, eating dollar slices, and listening to Whitesnake.

Phil Lynott once said, “The drinks will flow & the blood will spill” and I’m convinced he wrote that line about this place. It was 6pm, we were at capacity, 400+ inside the venue, at least that again, waiting outside, we jumped on stage at 11pm and were on fire. A few songs in I jump up, tell everyone to get fucked, do my bit and add to the chaos. Two songs later, our singer does a spinning kick jump thing off the monitor and splits his shorts from back to front, he is now, on stage, mid sing, cock out. I have a moment of panic, oh god, it was going too well, how’s he going to recover from this? I happen to have a bag near me and throw him a spare pair of jeans, maybe he didn’t see them, maybe he did, but during an extended bridge he asked the crowd if anyone had a spare pair of shorts, instantly a girl in a miniskirt dived onto the stage, takes off her skirt and gives it to our singer. At this point I figured he would go off stage to change, but no, drops his draws right then and there, and throws on the miniskirt and she took his shorts, never to be seen again. Looking back, I still can’t understand the logic behind this but, in the heat of battle I thought there’s literally no way this is going to fly. I thought for sure the night was over, I hadn’t even got to play a song yet, did I change my strings for nothing? Evidently not, because after Leon was in his miniskirt, I glanced over at the two bar managers, and they were dying of laughter. Phew, okay, we’re in business, no wasted Ernie Balls. The night didn’t slow down from there, the crowd kept getting hungrier and hungrier for more, despite being in a skirt, Leon was crowd surfing, I had walked Matt around the bar on my shoulders for his guitar solo, people were frothing for more, it was all happening. Now, past midnight, I jump onstage for the encore, we pulled out If You Want Blood by AC/DC, (fitting I know), and then nose dived into our final track. As we finished ringing out the final notes, the drum kit went out piece by piece into the crowd, the amps were knocked over along with the copious amounts of lager on stage. The previously mentioned carpet was at this point, soaking wet and sticky to walk on, the crowd was out of control and a lot of shirts had come off by this point, mine included.

Now, part of the arrangement for this gig was that we (band and crew) had an open bar tab. For any new bar owner out there, this is a very poor deal, for you. At some point around 3am, I went to the back bar to get a couple more lagers, and then bar man said “yeah, so I’m gonna have to start charging you fellas because your tab is $1,600”. A fair effort on our end I’ll admit, however, I walked off stage, met heaps of cool people, sang along to The Angels and as it happens, we were all absolutely hellbent on going to see the Aussie footy team because they ware playing a World Cup match at 6am. So, we had said yeah nah, we’ll leave the venue and go watch the match. Easy.

At some point around 4am I called it a night, and crashed HARD, missing the footy.

The next day, after I awoke and feeling not too bad considering, we went to load out from the previous night around 2pm, and naturally stayed all night. There was a Freak Flag event on, and basically, it’s a mix of pole dancers, industrial music, and live/nude art painting, it was bloody hectic and surely something my mother wouldn’t approve of. I’ll finish this blurb up by saying this, Frankie's is very much missed by all of us, it was an institution, whether you went there once, or a thousand times, you were always welcomed with open arms. It was a place where people like me who don’t necessarily feel like they fit in in the usual places, felt like we were at home. Everyone I met that weekend was truly salt of the earth and still a mate too this day. The world needs places like Frankie's, not just for the open bar tabs and the Freak Flag events but because it reminds all of us that it’s good to celebrate our differences over a cold pint and a loud soundtrack.

6/6.

#RIPFrankie's.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Public - Bodø

  ANTHONY BOURDAIN ONCE SAID  “anyone who whines about writers block should be forced to clean squid all day” . Oui chef, I’ll head over to the seafood station for the foreseeable future. But, have I had writers block or have I just had nothing to moan about lately? Yes, the world’s on fire, but my corner of the universe has been quiet. I’ve been trying to avoid the news, ignoring the bad and focusing on the good. And the news is good, Hortons have released World Cup inspired Tim Bits that no one wanted, and last week I was given a Montana’s gift card. Things are filling up in Southern Ontario I tell ya. Ribs and salad for tea.  This weekend however, I’m back on my bullshit and on a flight to Oslo. Why am I on a flight to Oslo you ask? Well that’s easy, because yesterday I was on a flight to Bodø. I know, keep up. If you’ve never heard of Bodø, don’t worry, neither had I until I decided to scurry across the pond to see The Cruel Intentions play some gigs. I’ve been a fan ...

GODZ - Tokyo

  Roughly this time last year, I set a goal for myself to read at least one book a month for 2025. No particular topic, or subject matter in mind, just simply read a dozen books. It’s safe to say I’m on track to complete that mission, and I might ever surpass it. The constant back and forth to Europe for vacations and tours has helped, but most recently, a 14 hour flight to Tokyo has sealed the deal. In at least three or four of the books I’ve read this year, people have talked about how amazing Japan is. Doug Tompkins, who founded The North Face clothing company had a love for their art and architecture. Anthony Bourdain was besotted with their food. Jermey Clarkson adores their motorways. I have heard people raving about this place for years. However, after being here a week, I hate to say it, but I have a slightly different outlook. Let me start of by saying Tokyo is incredible, and I am happy I’m here. As I’m writing this, I’m connected to wifi and travelling at 320kph on a bul...

The Flying V Metal Bar - Singapore

I’ve never been one to shy away from an unpopular opinion. For example, I hate Seinfeld. And The Beatles, but please allow me to expand upon my latest one. I can only equate my underwhelming feelings about Japan to the same happy and excited feelings at the beginning of a new relationship. And just before the honeymoon phase is over, life becomes more real, the diffuser on the bedside table becomes your first joint purchase, you suddenly get the “I’ve been thinking text” . So much hype and excitement, followed by the feeling that a rug has been pulled out from underneath your feet. And you’re left feeling sad, and despondent. This has happened to me before, in relationships and travelling, as I’m sure it has to a great many others, but as a result, I vow to never return to Vegas.  Heresy aside, I think the underlying problem here is social media. Think about it. People only portray themselves as having a great time, and everything being excellent online. People go on their holidays...