Skip to main content

Lemmy - Reykjavik

Norseman landed on these fiery shores in roughly 870AD, set up some tents and called Reykjavik their capital and from east to west, I absolutely adore this country. It’s like Australia in some ways, a nice harmonic blend of being kind of European, kind of North American, with a little bit of a twist. The twist being, it’s only the bits of those places they want and nothing more. For example, the EU doesn’t allow whaling, but the Icelandic’s are keen for the occasional Whale & Chips for dinner so while they have socialized health care and drive Skoda’s, they don’t want to follow all the rules those pesky Europeans have. Whaling aside, the people are truly wonderful everywhere you go, very calm and laid back. Unlike yours truly here, which makes sense when you think about it, they grow up in a staggeringly beautiful country, live among nature and have a culture to embrace. Sadly for me, Bromley General Hospital in London didn’t gift such scenery, nor did the council houses in Courtney Road I walked by on the daily going to school. 

I rocked up one sunny April morning to this land of brimstone and fire, having done my usual minimal amounts of research and planning ahead of time to discover what Iceland had to offer. The only thing that I did actually plan out was a visit to Iceland’s Phallological Museum (penis museum) because why the hell not? So, knowing the location of that, I booked a hostel around the corner, checked in, put my face on and headed to the museum that would have Lisa Sparxxx bloody frothing.

Must say, the museum has some interesting bits in it, not forgetting of course the (how would you say? Replicas? Yeah sure, lets go with that), replicas of Iceland’s Olympic Hockey Teams mutton daggers on display. Whilst walking through the museum with an 11am pint, I asked the barmaid if there are any cool rock bars in town. “Well, its not really my scene, but Lemmy’s is around the corner”. Lemmy’s, righto. At this point it was only noon, a bit early to tie one on, even by my standards but I thought I’d go in, have a quick one to warm up, and then go venture around for a bit.

I could hear Judas Priest blasting as I walked up to the front door, I opened the gates into what can only be described as heaven. In a previous life, I think the building was an old Anglo church, but it’s since been heavily converted into a church of heavy metal, my kinda mass. The walls are covered from floor to ceiling with blood red velvet, exposed wooden beams, pinball machines, a fish tank and of course; Viking Beer on tap. I found a barstool with my name on it, and I got chatting to these two German fellas that were off their tits. “We’re waiting for our flight tonight” he mumbled incoherently, “our wives are away for the weekend in Zurich, so me and Boris here decided to come to Reykjavik”. Geographically that make about as much sense as some of my travels, but sure fellas, sounds great. Turns out they were super nice guys from Munich, we told stories and pounded back a Viking or two listening to Zeppelin & Maiden. These lads were great fun, until one of them fell off his barstool shortly after our introduction, so they called it an afternoon and headed out. Prost fellas! I assume you missed your flight, but I hope ya got home alright nonetheless.

Before I got myself into a similar condition, I settled my tab, asked the bar maid for some directions around town and made my way out. On another one of my self guided tours around town, I stumbled across the Icelandic Punk Rock Museum, which is well worth a flutter. It’s in a disused, converted public bathroom down a dingy set of stairs. For anyone reading this bollocks outside of Europe, basically there used to be public bathrooms everywhere, you’d pay .50p or something to use them and they’re usually grimy at their very best. However, when the city shut them down, this bloke brought one of them, left the dunnies, sinks, and everything in it, and just covered the walls in pictures, memorabilia, drum kits, show flyers, guitars, you name it. He’s done such a great job of telling the story of Iceland’s Music Scene from as far back as the 1930’s or so. I heard a rumour they occasionally have gigs down there as well, but judging by the size of the place, you’d only need to sell 15 tickets to sell out. Still, more punters than I’ve played to some nights let me tell you!

Back for round 2 at Lem’s. After a long arvo of walking around town, seeing some sites, drinking coffee, and having Reindeer Bolognese for dinner (Rudolph isn’t coming this year kids, sorry). I made my way for showtime at Lem’s. Given that Lem’s itself is reasonably small, you don’t need a large crowd in there to make it look good, but this is a Friday night in Reykjavik, party time! It was packed to the gills. There was a drummer and a DJ, odd combo I know, but hear me out. The DJ did as all DJ’s do and just rip off actual musicians, which I hate, but old mate behind the kit was crushing out fills and drumming along to anything the DJ was spinning. They played all sorts of Icelandic punk & metal bands I wasn’t familiar with but occasionally slipped in a Ramones or Clash song. The long blonde hair of every regular in there was flowing almost faster than the pints. At some point much much later in the evening’s festivities, the DJ stepped aside and a guitar player got up and really let it rip. Turns out those two blokes play in a band called The Vintage Caravan, nice guys, great records if you’re a prog rock nerd. I’m not but I still enjoy the occasional 12 minutes of Dream Theatre.

 I’ve frequented Lem’s heaps of times since this outing, and it always rips. The name eludes me, but they have a patio out back where they host a music festival in August during “Iceland’s biggest week of drinking”. Which I will say that judging by how these guys drink on a regular basis, I have a feeling I’d be on a weeklong IV of tea and shortbreads after attending that one. If the band ever got called for that festival, I’d be keen as though. I’m not afraid.

All up, Lemmy’s rips. Iceland’s cool as (pun intended). Total must visit!

6/6.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Public - Bodø

  ANTHONY BOURDAIN ONCE SAID  “anyone who whines about writers block should be forced to clean squid all day” . Oui chef, I’ll head over to the seafood station for the foreseeable future. But, have I had writers block or have I just had nothing to moan about lately? Yes, the world’s on fire, but my corner of the universe has been quiet. I’ve been trying to avoid the news, ignoring the bad and focusing on the good. And the news is good, Hortons have released World Cup inspired Tim Bits that no one wanted, and last week I was given a Montana’s gift card. Things are filling up in Southern Ontario I tell ya. Ribs and salad for tea.  This weekend however, I’m back on my bullshit and on a flight to Oslo. Why am I on a flight to Oslo you ask? Well that’s easy, because yesterday I was on a flight to Bodø. I know, keep up. If you’ve never heard of Bodø, don’t worry, neither had I until I decided to scurry across the pond to see The Cruel Intentions play some gigs. I’ve been a fan ...

GODZ - Tokyo

  Roughly this time last year, I set a goal for myself to read at least one book a month for 2025. No particular topic, or subject matter in mind, just simply read a dozen books. It’s safe to say I’m on track to complete that mission, and I might ever surpass it. The constant back and forth to Europe for vacations and tours has helped, but most recently, a 14 hour flight to Tokyo has sealed the deal. In at least three or four of the books I’ve read this year, people have talked about how amazing Japan is. Doug Tompkins, who founded The North Face clothing company had a love for their art and architecture. Anthony Bourdain was besotted with their food. Jermey Clarkson adores their motorways. I have heard people raving about this place for years. However, after being here a week, I hate to say it, but I have a slightly different outlook. Let me start of by saying Tokyo is incredible, and I am happy I’m here. As I’m writing this, I’m connected to wifi and travelling at 320kph on a bul...

The Flying V Metal Bar - Singapore

I’ve never been one to shy away from an unpopular opinion. For example, I hate Seinfeld. And The Beatles, but please allow me to expand upon my latest one. I can only equate my underwhelming feelings about Japan to the same happy and excited feelings at the beginning of a new relationship. And just before the honeymoon phase is over, life becomes more real, the diffuser on the bedside table becomes your first joint purchase, you suddenly get the “I’ve been thinking text” . So much hype and excitement, followed by the feeling that a rug has been pulled out from underneath your feet. And you’re left feeling sad, and despondent. This has happened to me before, in relationships and travelling, as I’m sure it has to a great many others, but as a result, I vow to never return to Vegas.  Heresy aside, I think the underlying problem here is social media. Think about it. People only portray themselves as having a great time, and everything being excellent online. People go on their holidays...