Skip to main content

Vaterland - Oslo

Hail Pizza, Eat Satan! Full on metal bar located right in the heart of downtown Oslo! Truly, what a gem of a dive. Anytime I am greeted the sweet ear nectar of Cannibal Corpse or Rope Sect, I know I’m in for a great night! I got into Oslo after a chaotic month of touring with the band, and even though I had already consumed enough lagers and durries to last me ‘til Christmas, I figured I should treat myself to a night out on the town. After all, I deserved a pint or two for my efforts for the last month. 


As chaotic as the tour was, the shows were great, the rooms were full, we made some loot and (hopefully) our new agent is happy. Or as happy as an agent can be, miserable pricks. The icing on the cake being, we only had one major blow up, which I’d call that a success considering the quantity of testosterone floating around our tour van. 


After visiting Helsinki & Tallinn, Oslo was pretty much on par with what I expected from any major Scandinavian city. I tell ya, these guys have really figured it out. Public transport is a breeze, the streets are clean, little to no homelessness, people are super friendly and helpful and like Helsinki there seems to be zero rules on modern architecture. Which coming from England, is refreshing but slightly odd to me. I say “odd” because everything in Jolly Olde needs to be kept “within keeping” with its surroundings, which is a fucking daft concept if you ask me. Don't get me wrong, I love farting about in the Cotswolds and seeing old thatched roofs just as much as the next guy, and I really love not seeing the neon glow of the Golden Arches glued to the side of some old building. However, just because some buildings in the neighbourhood are still standing from the Tudor period, doesn’t mean we need to continue this detailing any longer. Ridiculous logic for a ridiculous country. 

Weirdly though, Oslo doesn’t seem to have an “old town” like Tallinn or Cartagena. I might be wrong in saying that, but I certainly couldn’t find anything myself. Judging by how pragmatic, and forward thinking Scandinavian people are, I would assume that if some old hut from the 1,200's wasn’t cutting the mustard anymore, I imagine they paved over it and built something more practical. And honestly, I can’t blame em. The world wants an EV chargers at every corner, albeit they’re terrible for the envíame utterly unsustainable in the long term, but since some 14 year old called Greta has an opinion, the old shit needs to go. 


Somewhere on my travels I found a really awesome record store that doubles as a Black Metal Museum, if you’re unfamiliar with Black Metal, that’s ok; you’ll probably hate it. I will admit, it’s not my first go to but I certainly appreciate it. Having sat in a tour van for a number of years and knowing the ins and outs and the bullshit that goes along with being in a band, I have to give it to bands like Mayhem, Venom, or Napalm Death because these guys dedicate their lives to an extremely niece sub genre of music. Like it or not, in my mind it deserves some appreciation at the very least. 


Like I said though, Vaterland is a true gem among the world of rock n roll dive bars. Just the right amount of shit on the walls, a soundtrack that would please Satan himself, some deadly good Za, and some of Norways finest beers on tap. What more do you want?


6/6.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Public - Bodø

  ANTHONY BOURDAIN ONCE SAID  “anyone who whines about writers block should be forced to clean squid all day” . Oui chef, I’ll head over to the seafood station for the foreseeable future. But, have I had writers block or have I just had nothing to moan about lately? Yes, the world’s on fire, but my corner of the universe has been quiet. I’ve been trying to avoid the news, ignoring the bad and focusing on the good. And the news is good, Hortons have released World Cup inspired Tim Bits that no one wanted, and last week I was given a Montana’s gift card. Things are filling up in Southern Ontario I tell ya. Ribs and salad for tea.  This weekend however, I’m back on my bullshit and on a flight to Oslo. Why am I on a flight to Oslo you ask? Well that’s easy, because yesterday I was on a flight to Bodø. I know, keep up. If you’ve never heard of Bodø, don’t worry, neither had I until I decided to scurry across the pond to see The Cruel Intentions play some gigs. I’ve been a fan ...

GODZ - Tokyo

  Roughly this time last year, I set a goal for myself to read at least one book a month for 2025. No particular topic, or subject matter in mind, just simply read a dozen books. It’s safe to say I’m on track to complete that mission, and I might ever surpass it. The constant back and forth to Europe for vacations and tours has helped, but most recently, a 14 hour flight to Tokyo has sealed the deal. In at least three or four of the books I’ve read this year, people have talked about how amazing Japan is. Doug Tompkins, who founded The North Face clothing company had a love for their art and architecture. Anthony Bourdain was besotted with their food. Jermey Clarkson adores their motorways. I have heard people raving about this place for years. However, after being here a week, I hate to say it, but I have a slightly different outlook. Let me start of by saying Tokyo is incredible, and I am happy I’m here. As I’m writing this, I’m connected to wifi and travelling at 320kph on a bul...

The Flying V Metal Bar - Singapore

I’ve never been one to shy away from an unpopular opinion. For example, I hate Seinfeld. And The Beatles, but please allow me to expand upon my latest one. I can only equate my underwhelming feelings about Japan to the same happy and excited feelings at the beginning of a new relationship. And just before the honeymoon phase is over, life becomes more real, the diffuser on the bedside table becomes your first joint purchase, you suddenly get the “I’ve been thinking text” . So much hype and excitement, followed by the feeling that a rug has been pulled out from underneath your feet. And you’re left feeling sad, and despondent. This has happened to me before, in relationships and travelling, as I’m sure it has to a great many others, but as a result, I vow to never return to Vegas.  Heresy aside, I think the underlying problem here is social media. Think about it. People only portray themselves as having a great time, and everything being excellent online. People go on their holidays...