Skip to main content

Black Heart - London



Ah Camden, what a sight for sore eyes you really are. Please never, ever change. I appreciate so much about he hustle and bustle of these markets. It's electrifying and unlike anything you're likely to find at your local Sainsbury’s. Truly a thing of beauty. Whether you're on the hunt for some shopping for your evenings tea, a leather jacket, a pub to sink 12 pints and watch the match in, or some of the best coffee this side of the Nile, this place has got everything you could possibly need. Full disclaimer for any tourists, I wouldn’t be surprised if a portion of the goods you buy here are moody, but that's half the fun of this place! By day it's the most vibrant and bohemian part of London and by night it seems to transform itself into the Mecca for all things music. Electronic, House, UK Underground Rap, Rock, you name it, there's a show happening at one of these venue with your name on it. Absolute nirvana.

Before we get into that bollocks though, I want to start but saying, man was it ever nice to be in the old country for a week. I love being home, I love reminding myself why I visit once a year instead of permanently changing my mailing address. I love a proper cooked breakfast, a proper pint but most of all I love stocking up on Gregg's Sausage Rolls and my old mans cups of tea. I don't know what the old timer does, but between the bag itself, a spoonful of sugar, and a splash of 2%, it's perfection, and it's seemingly something no one else can replicate. I promise you it could solve wars, the Camp David agreements would finally be settled before the pot runs dry. No need for a tea cosy. Simply put, it's the best cup of tea in the world. I'll miss many things about the old fart when he decides to clock out, but his ability to make a cuppa Rosey Lee will be one of the things I miss the most. 

Thankfully however, much like Camden Town, he's still alive as well and after a good week of gigs through the UK and only one major argument, we made it to the Black Heart. This was our last gig before we hit the road to the continent and I couldn't have been more stoked when we pulled in to find that it would be the smallest room, with the smallest stage, and it was sold out. We were in for a hot at sweaty night. 

As much as I love the massive stages and the festival's with all the backstage catering, booze, trailers, "artists village" and all the bells and whistles, sometimes those gigs feel a bit impersonal to me. I will forever be a sucker for a small venue and a sold out show. I always feel as if there's more interaction with friends and fans who have actually come to see the show. Unfortunately it isn't 1987, and at those bigger festivals there's usually just a bunch of music industry big wigs stroking each other off backstage. People with zero talent and ability to write a melody, just another hand in the pocket of musicians putting in the hard yards that live off couch surfing and KD. It's a shit business and one I wouldn't recommend getting involved with unless you have a burning desire to play the same three cords for the rest of your life. My biggest advice to anyone thinking about starting a band is unless you're really, really fucking good, and I mean really good, just quit. You're going to basically just end up living life as a travelling t-shirt salesman. Although as much as I grumble about it, playing to 20,000 people is a pretty incredible feeling.

As for The Black Heart, this place is exactly what you need in a rock venue, the upstairs is as small as can be, the downstairs is serving up frosty pints, the decor is phenomenal, pinball, the footy was on and Judas Priest graced the airwaves. My only gripe would be the all vegan food menu, which normally I'd say yeah no dramas too but if you're going to be vegan, be vegan. Don't fluff me up with a vegan Sunday roast. ya can't have it, so don't try. 

6/6.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Public - Bodø

  ANTHONY BOURDAIN ONCE SAID  “anyone who whines about writers block should be forced to clean squid all day” . Oui chef, I’ll head over to the seafood station for the foreseeable future. But, have I had writers block or have I just had nothing to moan about lately? Yes, the world’s on fire, but my corner of the universe has been quiet. I’ve been trying to avoid the news, ignoring the bad and focusing on the good. And the news is good, Hortons have released World Cup inspired Tim Bits that no one wanted, and last week I was given a Montana’s gift card. Things are filling up in Southern Ontario I tell ya. Ribs and salad for tea.  This weekend however, I’m back on my bullshit and on a flight to Oslo. Why am I on a flight to Oslo you ask? Well that’s easy, because yesterday I was on a flight to Bodø. I know, keep up. If you’ve never heard of Bodø, don’t worry, neither had I until I decided to scurry across the pond to see The Cruel Intentions play some gigs. I’ve been a fan ...

GODZ - Tokyo

  Roughly this time last year, I set a goal for myself to read at least one book a month for 2025. No particular topic, or subject matter in mind, just simply read a dozen books. It’s safe to say I’m on track to complete that mission, and I might ever surpass it. The constant back and forth to Europe for vacations and tours has helped, but most recently, a 14 hour flight to Tokyo has sealed the deal. In at least three or four of the books I’ve read this year, people have talked about how amazing Japan is. Doug Tompkins, who founded The North Face clothing company had a love for their art and architecture. Anthony Bourdain was besotted with their food. Jermey Clarkson adores their motorways. I have heard people raving about this place for years. However, after being here a week, I hate to say it, but I have a slightly different outlook. Let me start of by saying Tokyo is incredible, and I am happy I’m here. As I’m writing this, I’m connected to wifi and travelling at 320kph on a bul...

The Flying V Metal Bar - Singapore

I’ve never been one to shy away from an unpopular opinion. For example, I hate Seinfeld. And The Beatles, but please allow me to expand upon my latest one. I can only equate my underwhelming feelings about Japan to the same happy and excited feelings at the beginning of a new relationship. And just before the honeymoon phase is over, life becomes more real, the diffuser on the bedside table becomes your first joint purchase, you suddenly get the “I’ve been thinking text” . So much hype and excitement, followed by the feeling that a rug has been pulled out from underneath your feet. And you’re left feeling sad, and despondent. This has happened to me before, in relationships and travelling, as I’m sure it has to a great many others, but as a result, I vow to never return to Vegas.  Heresy aside, I think the underlying problem here is social media. Think about it. People only portray themselves as having a great time, and everything being excellent online. People go on their holidays...