Skip to main content

Duff's Alcohol Abuse Center - NYC (Part 1)


They say to never meet your heroes, which is something I've heard a lot in my life, so naturally I was a little hesitant to finish, what had turned out to be the best year of my life (to date) with a night on the cans at Duff's in the Big Apple. I've been to a lot of countries, sailed a few seas, played some incredible gigs, met some lifelong friends, progressed up the ladder in my career so when I was asked to join a mate on a quick weekend in NYC I jumped at the opportunity.

For anyone who's read this bollocks all year, you'd know it's been one for the ages, and I want to take a moment to say cheers to y'all for continuing along this rambunctious alcohol, gig, flight filled journey of utter debauchery. I truly don't know how I kept up with it. I hadn't been to New York City since Crashdïet played Websters Hall in 2012, but a mate of mine, who's somehow racked up more stamps in their passport than me this year, was keen as to board the first flight of day and act as my tour guide though the concrete jungle. My only prerequisite in coming was that we saw the Rockefeller Tree & spent an evening at the iconic Duff's Alcohol Abuse Center I'd heard so much about over the years. The tree was frankly a disappointment, it's just a tree surrounded by thousands of cunts grabbing selfies and lining up for hours on end in the frigid temperatures for the latest pop up store some wanker online made a TikTok about. This is how I know I'm getting old, when I can't be naffed with a crowd or a dimly lit tree. Perhaps its better at night? I'll never know.

That Crashdïet show was incredible though, The Savage Playground era, Wildstreet opened, Simon on vocals, Eric still behind the skins, between that record & Generation Wild, easily my favourite time period of that band. I do wish I saw them in the RIS era, nothing can knokk that first record, so raw, so pure, such a shame Dave passed on. I met his mum once in Camden Town back in the old country at another Dïet show years earlier, but that's a different story we can delve into at a later date. Thankfully our timing on coming to NYC couldn't have been better as it was mere moments before the Donald would retake office with his band of misguided oligarchs. "Tearing down statue season: volume 2" was upon usWhichever side of the fence you sit on, I think we can agree the guys a full blown bogan in through and out. 

The Don aside, further thanks has to be given to my mate on this trip because given my heavily documented lack of planning and "go with the flow attitude" I gave him full reign to book whatever dinners and shows he wanted, and I tell ya, Steveo absolutely smashed it. We'll dive into that a little further in part 2 of this nonsense, but let me just say that Bad Roman was without a doubt the best steak I've ever eaten in my life and truly worth the invoice. After we smashed a mean feed at Bernie's and a pint at some random bar with the worlds most miserable barman, we headed over to Duff's for night one of our NYC Dive Bar Tour and let me say, Duff's did not disappoint. 

Buried in a basement in the ass end of Williamburg Brooklyn, this unsuspecting metal bar is perfection from top to bottom. It's poorly lit, crammed with memorabilia and weird shit on the tele, we were greeted by Priest on the loud speaker and a couple cold PBR's at the bar. You could spend a month of Sundays just looking though all the signed snares skins cloaked on the walls from the worlds best metal bands who have graced this place, from Kerry King & Dave Lombardo to Mayhem & of course Lemmy "The Godfather" Kilmister, you name 'em, they've drank here. 

I would easily rate Duff's in my top 5 dives I've ever been too. Between Duff's, Frankie's, Vaterland & Lemmy, you'd be hard pressed to drink at a better bar. Everyone here seems to be someone, the atmosphere is electric, it's as if Jimmy; the owner of this fine establishment garnished a wasabi with dynamite, and it's exactly what a rock n roll dive bar needs to be. To use an American-ism for any Yanks reading this, Duff's is to rock bars what spaghetti is to meatballs, a match made is heaven, aka perfection.  

6/6.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Public - Bodø

  ANTHONY BOURDAIN ONCE SAID  “anyone who whines about writers block should be forced to clean squid all day” . Oui chef, I’ll head over to the seafood station for the foreseeable future. But, have I had writers block or have I just had nothing to moan about lately? Yes, the world’s on fire, but my corner of the universe has been quiet. I’ve been trying to avoid the news, ignoring the bad and focusing on the good. And the news is good, Hortons have released World Cup inspired Tim Bits that no one wanted, and last week I was given a Montana’s gift card. Things are filling up in Southern Ontario I tell ya. Ribs and salad for tea.  This weekend however, I’m back on my bullshit and on a flight to Oslo. Why am I on a flight to Oslo you ask? Well that’s easy, because yesterday I was on a flight to Bodø. I know, keep up. If you’ve never heard of Bodø, don’t worry, neither had I until I decided to scurry across the pond to see The Cruel Intentions play some gigs. I’ve been a fan ...

GODZ - Tokyo

  Roughly this time last year, I set a goal for myself to read at least one book a month for 2025. No particular topic, or subject matter in mind, just simply read a dozen books. It’s safe to say I’m on track to complete that mission, and I might ever surpass it. The constant back and forth to Europe for vacations and tours has helped, but most recently, a 14 hour flight to Tokyo has sealed the deal. In at least three or four of the books I’ve read this year, people have talked about how amazing Japan is. Doug Tompkins, who founded The North Face clothing company had a love for their art and architecture. Anthony Bourdain was besotted with their food. Jermey Clarkson adores their motorways. I have heard people raving about this place for years. However, after being here a week, I hate to say it, but I have a slightly different outlook. Let me start of by saying Tokyo is incredible, and I am happy I’m here. As I’m writing this, I’m connected to wifi and travelling at 320kph on a bul...

The Flying V Metal Bar - Singapore

I’ve never been one to shy away from an unpopular opinion. For example, I hate Seinfeld. And The Beatles, but please allow me to expand upon my latest one. I can only equate my underwhelming feelings about Japan to the same happy and excited feelings at the beginning of a new relationship. And just before the honeymoon phase is over, life becomes more real, the diffuser on the bedside table becomes your first joint purchase, you suddenly get the “I’ve been thinking text” . So much hype and excitement, followed by the feeling that a rug has been pulled out from underneath your feet. And you’re left feeling sad, and despondent. This has happened to me before, in relationships and travelling, as I’m sure it has to a great many others, but as a result, I vow to never return to Vegas.  Heresy aside, I think the underlying problem here is social media. Think about it. People only portray themselves as having a great time, and everything being excellent online. People go on their holidays...