Skip to main content

Badehaus - Berlin



I realize it's an insane time to reminisce on the good times I had in Berlin, given the recent events that have unfolded south of the border that loosely tie in with German history. However, fuck The Donald, Musk and everyone else that wants to align themselves with those self-serving, underhanded, snide, extremist pieces of shit. This blog is only big enough for one us to be filled with hatred, and that's me.

Having spent a number of weeks in this glorious country, travelling from gigs in Dusseldorf too Marienmünster, or nights off in picturesque looking towns like Gehrden & Bremerhaven, I have to say I love it here. We’ve played some amazing shows, met some greet folks and created some lifelong memories. For those of you who have never ventured out this way, Germany is extremely distinct in many ways. From their biers and schnitzel, to their architecture and nightlife, the dirndls and lederhosen’s, it’s all very Germanic and frankly wonderful. We rocked up to Badehaus for the last show of the tour and whilst I was excited to start the voyage home to my own bed, a regimented lights out by 9pm policy and copious amounts of tea, I found myself to be equally as sad this tour was ending. Funny how "living your dream" becomes exhausting in the moment and then a great memory thereafter. Who knows when I'd be back here again, if ever?!

There have been so many great memories from this run of show, small moments like getting McFlurries at midnight in Frankfurt, dinner with everyone at the Augustiner Bier Hall in Munich, or even just me being an idiot and not knowing that "ausfahdt" meant "exit" on the motorway. After 45 minutes or so of driving to Dusseldorf on night one I remember looking over at Matty and saying "how fucking bigs this town?!". Berlin was a special one for me, because it also marked the arrival of a very special guest on this run of shows, my mum. Mum had been to Germany a couple of times before, but never Berlin. Ya see, post WWII, Berlin was divided into four quadrants, East Berlin was run by the Soviets and in a matter of what probably felt like minutes, East Berlin was effectively cut off from the West and allowed next to no movement of people between the two. There were enormous political fall outs and before anyone knew what was happening, Check Point Charlie would play host to a 3 day tank stand off between the Allied forces and the Soviets which would have certainly launched the world straight back into war. Thankfully both sides quietly backed down from said standoff and WWIII didn't take place. If you haven't seen it, I implore you to watch The Bridge of Spies with Tom Hanks, it capsulated the mood of the moment perfectly.


The venue itself was epic, a dark little Rock n Roll joint in the middle arts district of Berlin. A total bastard too park a van full of gear, but we rocked up to a bustling flea market which much like the markets in Camden Town, there were some true characters roaming around. On my travels after soundcheck I also found this weird dystopian back corner of the market where I had to pay a euro to pass the threshold, I was strictly told no photography was allowed but I can only describe it as a scene out of Mad Max if they had a rock climbing wall and an eclectic flea market of their own. There was a very underground crust punk band playing and tins of Berliner was flowing like Niagara Falls.   

 The gig went great and it was a perfect send off. After we said our goodbyes to our new found Danish mates, we checked into the hotel and went out for one last Donor Kebab before the boys headed home the next morning. Funnily enough and in true Air Canada fashion, they lost their luggage on the way home as well. Why not stick to tradition eh? Since my mum had traveled to see the show, and I imagine more so her favourite son, we took an extra day to cruise through the city we'd both been longing to see. We toured through the Bradenburg Gate, walked by the Reichstag, paid our respects at the various Jewish monuments, and had coffee at the Potsdamer Pier where part of the old wall still stands. We found a Berlin Wall Museum on the river Spree which overlooked where Soviets actually patrolled, killing any deserters that dared to escape the iron grip the communist had on them. Extremely heavy stuff. Of all things I'd be willing to try in my lifetime, communism isn't one of them, seems good on paper, bad in practice. That's the summary of most things in life, if it seems too good to be true, it usual bloody is! After a solid feed, a couple lagers and 30,000 steps I called it a night, utterly exhausted from the weeks and weeks of late nights, early morning and I dread of think of how many sausage rolls and lagers I had just put my body though. The next morning we set the GPS for home; London. 

I hope to be back at Badehaus for another gig sometime in '25 with the lads, there seem to be some great things in the works at the moment with the band that I'm excited to share with everyone when the time is right. Hopefully we can delve into some new markets and get into Prague and Vienna as well, but I'll leave that to our agent and management team. In the meantime, I have another bunch of stamps to collect in my passport and some more rock n roll bars to find around the globe.

6/6. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Public - Bodø

  ANTHONY BOURDAIN ONCE SAID  “anyone who whines about writers block should be forced to clean squid all day” . Oui chef, I’ll head over to the seafood station for the foreseeable future. But, have I had writers block or have I just had nothing to moan about lately? Yes, the world’s on fire, but my corner of the universe has been quiet. I’ve been trying to avoid the news, ignoring the bad and focusing on the good. And the news is good, Hortons have released World Cup inspired Tim Bits that no one wanted, and last week I was given a Montana’s gift card. Things are filling up in Southern Ontario I tell ya. Ribs and salad for tea.  This weekend however, I’m back on my bullshit and on a flight to Oslo. Why am I on a flight to Oslo you ask? Well that’s easy, because yesterday I was on a flight to Bodø. I know, keep up. If you’ve never heard of Bodø, don’t worry, neither had I until I decided to scurry across the pond to see The Cruel Intentions play some gigs. I’ve been a fan ...

GODZ - Tokyo

  Roughly this time last year, I set a goal for myself to read at least one book a month for 2025. No particular topic, or subject matter in mind, just simply read a dozen books. It’s safe to say I’m on track to complete that mission, and I might ever surpass it. The constant back and forth to Europe for vacations and tours has helped, but most recently, a 14 hour flight to Tokyo has sealed the deal. In at least three or four of the books I’ve read this year, people have talked about how amazing Japan is. Doug Tompkins, who founded The North Face clothing company had a love for their art and architecture. Anthony Bourdain was besotted with their food. Jermey Clarkson adores their motorways. I have heard people raving about this place for years. However, after being here a week, I hate to say it, but I have a slightly different outlook. Let me start of by saying Tokyo is incredible, and I am happy I’m here. As I’m writing this, I’m connected to wifi and travelling at 320kph on a bul...

The Flying V Metal Bar - Singapore

I’ve never been one to shy away from an unpopular opinion. For example, I hate Seinfeld. And The Beatles, but please allow me to expand upon my latest one. I can only equate my underwhelming feelings about Japan to the same happy and excited feelings at the beginning of a new relationship. And just before the honeymoon phase is over, life becomes more real, the diffuser on the bedside table becomes your first joint purchase, you suddenly get the “I’ve been thinking text” . So much hype and excitement, followed by the feeling that a rug has been pulled out from underneath your feet. And you’re left feeling sad, and despondent. This has happened to me before, in relationships and travelling, as I’m sure it has to a great many others, but as a result, I vow to never return to Vegas.  Heresy aside, I think the underlying problem here is social media. Think about it. People only portray themselves as having a great time, and everything being excellent online. People go on their holidays...