Skip to main content

Lucky 13 Saloon - NYC (Part 2)

Somehow, we awoke feeling reasonably decent and not as second hand as I imagined we would have, but my standard routine of a hot shower, a couple Advil's and the obligatory "what the fuck am I doing with my life?" comment resounded against the bathroom mirror as I put my face on and waited for my mate to do the same. It was again, painfully cold outside, who woulda guessed that? New York in December and it's cold? Coulda fooled me. Since it was so damn frigid out, we decided that we should take part in more "indoor activities" for the day, Steveo was keen to hit up a Christmas craft market at Bryant Park, which was cool as, then we found our way to Friedman's on 31st & 7th Ave. for a breaky, randomly we sneaked into to some Thai place for a massage, and then somewhere along the line we stumbled upon Rudy's. 

The foot massage was pure nirvana and something I think I need to continue in my life, I guess over a decade of wearing work boots and never going for a massage is enough to ruin anyones soles. We rolled into Rudy's not only to escape the cold, but because we'd heard that for a mere four United States dollar bills you can get a house pint and a Glizzy. A Glizzy for my Europe mates is a greasy dooger, aka, a hotdog. How can one resist a special like that? $4 seemed too good to be true, but I can now die confirming this combo doesn't just exist, but is the stuff of legends. "Do you want Mustard?" Rudy asked from the other side of the bar. "Always lady, always". Reminded me of how epic Frankie's used to be with their $1 slices before 8pm, just the stuff of pickled dreams. We graced Rudy's with our presence for a couple rounds and after we smashed a Glizzy or two we made our plans to meet up with a mate of his back in Brooklyn at Lucky 13 Saloon but not before heading to a jazz Christmas show. I've never been a lover of jazz and in recent years Christmas either, but this was the perfect hybrid of jazz and Christmas rolled together, no stupid 11/16 time signatures insight, just some truly excellent muso's playing some tried and true classics with a sprinkling of polyrhythms and occasional skip of the 4. Pure enjoyment.

After getting lost on the underground for a quick second, we made our way to Lucky 13 Saloon which is tucked away somewhere in Brooklyn but conveniently a 30 second walk from the hotel, and I tell ya, it was the perfect ending to our quick rip in NYC. Turns out Steveo's mate who we were meeting up with, is the "King of the No Ring" championship wrestler, which honestly, I could have guessed by the sheer stature of the bloke as he walked in! People have a lot to say about how wrestlings "fake" and whatnot, but I promise you, fake or not fucking fake, I don't not want this bloke giving me a Full Nelson or a Hogan Leg Drop anytime soon. We skulled beers, talked bollocks and turns out he's is also an honorary member in Cancer Christ. For those shall we say, unfamiliar with Cancer Christ, they're a band, and a bloody wild one at that. Usually their shows consist of flame throwers, tearing up bibles, throwing blood and "snake piss" on the crowd, and "baptizing" people, it's a sight to be seen. If I remember correctly St. Anthony is currently in jail, so I'm hoping they do something again soon because that was without questions the wildest band I've ever seen live. 

As I was saying though, Lucky 13 Saloon provided the perfect back drop for our final night in the Big Apple, no $4 hot dog specials to report on, just a bar littered with the perfect decor, loud tunes, a go-go dancer doing her rounds, and an array of Brooklyn finest and coldest pints. In a world filled with truly horrible music such as Lawrence and Drake, we need more places like Lucky 13 to turn down the suck, and turn up the Slayer. Honestly, what more do you bloody want?! 

6/6.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Public - Bodø

  ANTHONY BOURDAIN ONCE SAID  “anyone who whines about writers block should be forced to clean squid all day” . Oui chef, I’ll head over to the seafood station for the foreseeable future. But, have I had writers block or have I just had nothing to moan about lately? Yes, the world’s on fire, but my corner of the universe has been quiet. I’ve been trying to avoid the news, ignoring the bad and focusing on the good. And the news is good, Hortons have released World Cup inspired Tim Bits that no one wanted, and last week I was given a Montana’s gift card. Things are filling up in Southern Ontario I tell ya. Ribs and salad for tea.  This weekend however, I’m back on my bullshit and on a flight to Oslo. Why am I on a flight to Oslo you ask? Well that’s easy, because yesterday I was on a flight to Bodø. I know, keep up. If you’ve never heard of Bodø, don’t worry, neither had I until I decided to scurry across the pond to see The Cruel Intentions play some gigs. I’ve been a fan ...

GODZ - Tokyo

  Roughly this time last year, I set a goal for myself to read at least one book a month for 2025. No particular topic, or subject matter in mind, just simply read a dozen books. It’s safe to say I’m on track to complete that mission, and I might ever surpass it. The constant back and forth to Europe for vacations and tours has helped, but most recently, a 14 hour flight to Tokyo has sealed the deal. In at least three or four of the books I’ve read this year, people have talked about how amazing Japan is. Doug Tompkins, who founded The North Face clothing company had a love for their art and architecture. Anthony Bourdain was besotted with their food. Jermey Clarkson adores their motorways. I have heard people raving about this place for years. However, after being here a week, I hate to say it, but I have a slightly different outlook. Let me start of by saying Tokyo is incredible, and I am happy I’m here. As I’m writing this, I’m connected to wifi and travelling at 320kph on a bul...

The Flying V Metal Bar - Singapore

I’ve never been one to shy away from an unpopular opinion. For example, I hate Seinfeld. And The Beatles, but please allow me to expand upon my latest one. I can only equate my underwhelming feelings about Japan to the same happy and excited feelings at the beginning of a new relationship. And just before the honeymoon phase is over, life becomes more real, the diffuser on the bedside table becomes your first joint purchase, you suddenly get the “I’ve been thinking text” . So much hype and excitement, followed by the feeling that a rug has been pulled out from underneath your feet. And you’re left feeling sad, and despondent. This has happened to me before, in relationships and travelling, as I’m sure it has to a great many others, but as a result, I vow to never return to Vegas.  Heresy aside, I think the underlying problem here is social media. Think about it. People only portray themselves as having a great time, and everything being excellent online. People go on their holidays...