Skip to main content

Ronnies Local (069) - Toronto

 It's been a minute since I've turned any of the scribbles from my journal into something that's semi worthy of reading by the general populous. Lately I’ve been drowning in work, mostly dealing with truculent bastards on a daily basis and to say it’s emotionally taxing, would be a gross understatement. The self diagnosed seasonal depression hits hard this time of year too, it’s constantly cold and dark by 5pm leaving me feeling lonelier than Kunta Kinte at a klan rally. Nevertheless, with the advent of increased cyclists on the road and the chirping of birds in the trees, it can only mean one thing; spring has finally sprung and I couldn't be fucking happier. Since spring has sprung and the days are finally above zero more consistently, I thought I'd wipe the cobwebs off my biro and get back into the swing of things because in a few short weeks I’ll be scanning my first of many boarding passes for the year and heading outta town.

Much like last year, this year is shaping up to be another one filled with more airports to pass through and Airbnb's to check into. Theres something I deeply adore about being somewhere new for the first time, I don't know whether it's the feeling of the unknown, not being able to speak the language fluently, or wondering if you're in a bad part of town. Whatever it is, it's a feeling you only get to experience once when you're somewhere new. It's similar to hearing the drums kick off in "In The Air Tonight" or reading a new book. It's become a feeling that I'm very comfortable with and perhaps even chase like smoker itching to light their next Marlboro Red. 

Prior to jetting off to scuba dive and strum some first position cords around the world, I'm home for a little longer and now that the weather outside is conditional to that of normal human activity, I'm back to my weekend routine of bombing around Toronto, catching Jays games and going to shows. Somewhat unsuspectingly tucked away in the middle of this concrete chasm and just off the main drag of Kensington Market is good ol' Ronnies Local (069). Synonymous with skids, skaters and punks, this epic little cash only dive bar is perfect for a Sunday funday patio session. Ronnies isn't flashy and isn't trying to be something it's not, it’s just a simple dive bar, the tunes are good, the drinks are cold and the barmaids are easy on the eyes. Frankly what more could you ask for? Perhaps a pinball machine, but maybe I'm just being greedy.

For anyone reading this bollocks outside of Toronto, Kensington Market is similar to Camden or Newtown, full of moody goods, cheap knock offs and excellent restaurants. Theres a certain vibe in these parts of towns throughout the world that seem to transcend class and social status, everyones just here to listen to street performers and order some tacos, it's kind of beautiful in many ways. Much like the eclectic decor of the rest of Kensington, Ronnies is garnished in your standard dive bar decor of graffiti, band stickers, beer signs, and spent candle wax from years of lighting up a night of slurred words and presumably profound conversations.

I’m not sure who Ronnie is, or if he even exists, I’m happy to live with the cliffhanger of mystery I’ve created for myself, but whoever he may be, he’s figured this spot out perfectly. Not forgetting of course if you're keen for a game of Snake & Ladders or a cheeky game of Backgammon they've got ya covered too. Nice touch Ronnie. 

Take a ciggy, leave a ciggy.

6/6.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Public - Bodø

  ANTHONY BOURDAIN ONCE SAID  “anyone who whines about writers block should be forced to clean squid all day” . Oui chef, I’ll head over to the seafood station for the foreseeable future. But, have I had writers block or have I just had nothing to moan about lately? Yes, the world’s on fire, but my corner of the universe has been quiet. I’ve been trying to avoid the news, ignoring the bad and focusing on the good. And the news is good, Hortons have released World Cup inspired Tim Bits that no one wanted, and last week I was given a Montana’s gift card. Things are filling up in Southern Ontario I tell ya. Ribs and salad for tea.  This weekend however, I’m back on my bullshit and on a flight to Oslo. Why am I on a flight to Oslo you ask? Well that’s easy, because yesterday I was on a flight to Bodø. I know, keep up. If you’ve never heard of Bodø, don’t worry, neither had I until I decided to scurry across the pond to see The Cruel Intentions play some gigs. I’ve been a fan ...

GODZ - Tokyo

  Roughly this time last year, I set a goal for myself to read at least one book a month for 2025. No particular topic, or subject matter in mind, just simply read a dozen books. It’s safe to say I’m on track to complete that mission, and I might ever surpass it. The constant back and forth to Europe for vacations and tours has helped, but most recently, a 14 hour flight to Tokyo has sealed the deal. In at least three or four of the books I’ve read this year, people have talked about how amazing Japan is. Doug Tompkins, who founded The North Face clothing company had a love for their art and architecture. Anthony Bourdain was besotted with their food. Jermey Clarkson adores their motorways. I have heard people raving about this place for years. However, after being here a week, I hate to say it, but I have a slightly different outlook. Let me start of by saying Tokyo is incredible, and I am happy I’m here. As I’m writing this, I’m connected to wifi and travelling at 320kph on a bul...

The Flying V Metal Bar - Singapore

I’ve never been one to shy away from an unpopular opinion. For example, I hate Seinfeld. And The Beatles, but please allow me to expand upon my latest one. I can only equate my underwhelming feelings about Japan to the same happy and excited feelings at the beginning of a new relationship. And just before the honeymoon phase is over, life becomes more real, the diffuser on the bedside table becomes your first joint purchase, you suddenly get the “I’ve been thinking text” . So much hype and excitement, followed by the feeling that a rug has been pulled out from underneath your feet. And you’re left feeling sad, and despondent. This has happened to me before, in relationships and travelling, as I’m sure it has to a great many others, but as a result, I vow to never return to Vegas.  Heresy aside, I think the underlying problem here is social media. Think about it. People only portray themselves as having a great time, and everything being excellent online. People go on their holidays...