Skip to main content

Plan B - Malmö


 I found myself looking longingly at a pint of Norrlands Guld on a perfect summers day, somehow in Malmö bloody Sweden. The condensation ran down the outside of the glass as if it was an advert on the tele, and for a brief moment, in a room full of people, I blocked out the noise, and asked myself “how the fuck did I find myself here?!”.

 I took a sip of victory juice in one of the most unusual venues or bars I’ve ever seen, let alone played in. It can only be described as Tony Hawks wet dream, (the cool one, not the author). There’s a giant Pistonhead skull, and a half pipe. Lampshades that in a former life were missiles. Pentagrams made out of rebar. A headless mannequin in my dressing room, and for the first time on this world tour, shortbreads in the green room. I’m a simple man, I don’t ask for much on the road but a cuppa tea and a few shortbreads are the simplest of pleasures. This pint felt like a little bit of a personal celebration for me, because as of 2:38pm on a Friday, I crossed into Sweden and thus completed my journey to every Scandinavian country. A little goal of mine checked off my bucket list. Next up; Africa. I guess? After our gig, and I suppose all gigs, the venue doubles as a nightclub filled with music that I don’t quite understand, people, and chlamydia. 

Before I confess my love for Sweden, its chocolate, and its venues with half pipes and pentagrams. I want to talk about how wonderful Copenhagen is. What a lovely town. It strikes me as the sort of place the Queen (theirs not Britains) holds an annual seminar on how to use your cutlery. It’s beyond pretty. I’d love to live here, and best of all, I already have a business plan in mind. I’d open a mobile bicycle repair company, and will make infinity krona’s. Which will be helpful because it costs roughly 4 million Canadian dollars to buy breakfast, and 9 million to do your laundry. Weirdly though, this is something I don’t actually mind, and I’ll tell you why. The streets are clean. The people are well mannered, they dress nicely, and are generally happy as pigs in shit. There’s a shoe shop, and a cheese shop. University and healthcare is actually free. And unless the government rounds every drug addict and all the homeless people up on a nightly basis, and sets fire to them, they seemingly don’t have the same dire issues we face in Toronto. Yes, you pay an eye-watering amounts of tax, but it seems to work. I will say there’s no real need to see the little mermaid by the water, it’s about the size of a Fisher Price My First Puzzle Block Set, but the war museum and canals that surround it would do your Instagram feed wonders.


Much can be said for Sweden, granted I saw one tiny pocket of Malmö, but I get the feeling you could leave a skid of gold plated dunnies in the market square over night and they’d still be there for you in the morning. We crossed the mighty 16km Øresund Bridge/Tunnel meal deal combo, which is frankly a marvel of engineering and rolled into downtown, bee-lining it for the closest cafe immediately. I found some little joint near the water and ate a sandwich on some bread that was as bumpy as a teenagers face, and filled with bits of gravel that looked healthy. The bread looked as though it was made by someone who got out of bed before the sun, presumably ran 5kms, ate an avocado, and then uploaded it all to Instagram. What that is to say is it was fresh. Granted it cost as much as a trip to Tiffany’s, but what is a man to do. I do wish we could see more of where we go when we tour, usually we just see the motorway, the hotel, and then the venue. If you haven’t ever listened to The Load-Out by Jackson Browne, please do. You’ll get an understanding of what this circus is like. 

For now though, I’m jumping into a tour van that seems to be falling apart more and more by the kilometre and heading to Berlin. A city where the Donor Kebab went to high school. Created by the Ottoman’s, but perfected by ze Germans. Check ya’s!

6/6.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Public - Bodø

  ANTHONY BOURDAIN ONCE SAID  “anyone who whines about writers block should be forced to clean squid all day” . Oui chef, I’ll head over to the seafood station for the foreseeable future. But, have I had writers block or have I just had nothing to moan about lately? Yes, the world’s on fire, but my corner of the universe has been quiet. I’ve been trying to avoid the news, ignoring the bad and focusing on the good. And the news is good, Hortons have released World Cup inspired Tim Bits that no one wanted, and last week I was given a Montana’s gift card. Things are filling up in Southern Ontario I tell ya. Ribs and salad for tea.  This weekend however, I’m back on my bullshit and on a flight to Oslo. Why am I on a flight to Oslo you ask? Well that’s easy, because yesterday I was on a flight to Bodø. I know, keep up. If you’ve never heard of Bodø, don’t worry, neither had I until I decided to scurry across the pond to see The Cruel Intentions play some gigs. I’ve been a fan ...

GODZ - Tokyo

  Roughly this time last year, I set a goal for myself to read at least one book a month for 2025. No particular topic, or subject matter in mind, just simply read a dozen books. It’s safe to say I’m on track to complete that mission, and I might ever surpass it. The constant back and forth to Europe for vacations and tours has helped, but most recently, a 14 hour flight to Tokyo has sealed the deal. In at least three or four of the books I’ve read this year, people have talked about how amazing Japan is. Doug Tompkins, who founded The North Face clothing company had a love for their art and architecture. Anthony Bourdain was besotted with their food. Jermey Clarkson adores their motorways. I have heard people raving about this place for years. However, after being here a week, I hate to say it, but I have a slightly different outlook. Let me start of by saying Tokyo is incredible, and I am happy I’m here. As I’m writing this, I’m connected to wifi and travelling at 320kph on a bul...

The Flying V Metal Bar - Singapore

I’ve never been one to shy away from an unpopular opinion. For example, I hate Seinfeld. And The Beatles, but please allow me to expand upon my latest one. I can only equate my underwhelming feelings about Japan to the same happy and excited feelings at the beginning of a new relationship. And just before the honeymoon phase is over, life becomes more real, the diffuser on the bedside table becomes your first joint purchase, you suddenly get the “I’ve been thinking text” . So much hype and excitement, followed by the feeling that a rug has been pulled out from underneath your feet. And you’re left feeling sad, and despondent. This has happened to me before, in relationships and travelling, as I’m sure it has to a great many others, but as a result, I vow to never return to Vegas.  Heresy aside, I think the underlying problem here is social media. Think about it. People only portray themselves as having a great time, and everything being excellent online. People go on their holidays...